Loving For Life
Loving for Life is a training programme from Mothers’ Union designed to teach members to be skilled group facilitators for couples preparing for marriage in their parish church. Members work together with the clergy to run sessions for engaged couples.
We really feel we have developed a much better understanding of what married life involves."
Participants on the course have the opportunity to:
- Reflect on the status of marriage today, within the Church and the wider community.
- Understand the role of being a facilitator preparing couples for marriage and the principles reflected in their engagement with couples preparing to make a commitment to each other.
- Explore the key skills needed to undertake this role.
- Consider and evaluate the range of resources available to use in sessions with couples, which enables facilitators to select the best resource for individual contexts.
The Loving for Life training has been running for a number of years and has received some great feedback from members who have gone on to run very successful sessions with couples:
This is an excellently prepared and presented course, delivered professionally and with humour!"
The course gave me credibility and the confidence to put myself forward as a facilitator with the tools and resources to put together a course [for couples]."
Couples have shared that attending a session preparing them for marriage enables them to think about their relationship in a different way, explore new ways of communicating with each other and discuss relational topics they have not thought about before.
We thought it was going to be very faith based and were pleasantly surprised! It was so practical."
Loving for Life resources
The following resources have been introduced as part of the Loving for Life initiative, but could also be used by churches which are supporting marriage. (We do ask that before distributing these resources in any context you ensure your plans have the support of the local clergy).
Couples card – to give to couples for their wedding.Family & Friends card – to give to family, friends and congregation to celebrate the marriage of the couple.Keeping in Touch card – to give/send to couples to help Mothers’ Union/the church keep in touch - invite them for an event or a simple greeting.
How to get involved
- Become a facilitator preparing couples - as a Mothers’ Union member, or working closely with Mothers’ Union, you could train to be a facilitator preparing couples for marriage.
- Join today and support the work of Mothers' Union.
- Donate now to enable more people to train as Loving for Life facilitators and help more couples across the UK & Ireland.
- Pray - join a worldwide network of Christians, constantly upholding our work.