Thy Kingdom Come
"Prayer is at the heart of who we are. It takes us deep into our relationship with our loving God...We are living in troubled, anxious and uncertain times and in such times, our prayers are, quite possibly, more important than ever"
- Bishop Andrew Proud, Mothers' Union Central Chaplain
Last year, Archbishop Justin Welby invited people around the world to join him in ten days of prayer between Ascension Day and Pentecost in a movement called "Thy Kingdom Come". Mothers' Union members naturally answered this call to prayer in their dioceses and this year we are calling on our members to do the same as well as us being involved in a more cohesive approach.
How can I get involved?
Between 25th May and 4th June, communities and churches around the world are gathering together to pray that their friends, families and neighbours come to know Jesus Christ.
In particular we want to encourage members to unite together in a Global Moment act of worship on 31st May at 2.00pm. Lynne will be leading our Global Moment from Hull which we will be live streaming so you can either watch along to take part or why not hold your own Global Moment where we can all unite in prayer. We have a worship resource we have produced especially so you can hold your own moment as well as Thy Kingdom Come Midday Prayers.
We also encourage our members to consider doing one or more of the following:
- Find out what your local community / parish /diocese is doing to mark the event and get involved! Maybe your Mothers' Union can offer to help and support in some way both practically (organising children's activities, setting up a 24 hr prayer room or helping with the welcoming committee etc) and spiritually (praying for the event, helping with the worship etc)
- If your parish isn't already doing something then you could suggest ways in which they can make prayer a priority in church during the 10 days
- We all lead very busy lives but perhaps you could make sure that during the 10 days no matter what you are doing you take the time at midday to pray for Mothers' Union members worldwide
- You could look to your friends and neighbours and ask them what they would like prayer for and commit to praying for them throughout the ten days
The Thy Kingdom Come website has lots more ideas on how you can get involved as well as great downloadable resources & activities